Puerto Rico is a beautiful Caribbean island that is a part of the United States. It is known for its stunning beaches, rich history, and vibrant culture. There are many things to do in Puerto Rico, and it can be overwhelming to choose which activities to prioritize. Here are the 10 best things to do in Puerto Rico:
1. Visit Old San Juan
Old San Juan is a charming neighborhood located in the capital city of San Juan, Puerto Rico. It is home to many historical landmarks, such as Castillo San Felipe del Morro and La Fortaleza, and is known for its colorful colonial-style buildings and narrow streets.
Here are some things to do in Old San Juan:
Explore the historical landmarks: Old San Juan is home to many important historical landmarks, such as Castillo San Felipe del Morro, a 16th-century fort that sits on a hill overlooking the city. La Fortaleza, also known as the Governor’s Palace, is a beautiful colonial-style building that now serves as the residence of the Governor of Puerto Rico. Other landmarks to visit include the San Juan Cathedral, which dates back to the 1540s, and the Paseo de la Princesa, a beautiful promenade that runs along the city’s historic walls.
Stay in a historic hotel: Old San Juan is home to several historic hotels that offer a unique and charming experience. The El Convento Hotel is a converted 17th-century convent that has been transformed into a luxury hotel. The Hotel Milano is a beautiful 19th-century building that has been restored to its original splendor. Both hotels offer a unique blend of history and modern amenities.
Go shopping: Old San Juan is home to many charming shops and boutiques. You can find souvenirs, art, and clothing in the many stores and markets located throughout the neighborhood. Some popular shopping destinations include Calle del Cristo, a street known for its artisanal products and handmade crafts, and the Mercado de San Juan, a bustling outdoor market where you can find fresh produce and local products.
Try the local cuisine: Old San Juan is home to many restaurants that serve traditional Puerto Rican cuisine. Some popular options include La Mallorquina, a bakery that has been serving pastries and bread for over 100 years, and El Jibarito, a restaurant that serves authentic Puerto Rican dishes such as mofongo and asopao. If you’re in the mood for seafood, be sure to try some of the island’s famous ceviche or try a traditional dish like arroz con gandules.
Overall, Old San Juan is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Puerto Rico. It offers a blend of history, culture, and modern amenities that make it a unique and exciting place to explore.
2. Go to the beach
Puerto Rico is home to many beautiful beaches, each with its own unique character.
Some popular choices include:
- Playa Flamenco: Located on the island of Culebra, Playa Flamenco is a secluded beach that is known for its crystal clear waters and powdery white sand. It is a popular destination for snorkeling and diving, and it is also a great spot for sunbathing and relaxing.
- Playa Luquillo: Located on the east coast of the island, Playa Luquillo is a long, wide beach that is popular with locals and tourists alike. It is known for its clear waters and amenities such as shower facilities and food stands.
- Playa Sun Bay: Located on the island of Vieques, Playa Sun Bay is a beautiful beach that is popular with families. It has calm waters and is home to a variety of marine life, making it a great spot for snorkeling and swimming.
- Playa Carolina: Located on the north coast of the island, Playa Carolina is a long, wide beach that is popular with surfers. It is also a great spot for sunbathing and picnicking.
Here are some tips for visiting the beaches in Puerto Rico:
- Pack sunscreen and a hat: The sun in Puerto Rico can be strong, so be sure to pack sunscreen and a hat to protect your skin.
- Wear beach shoes: The sand can be hot, so it is a good idea to wear beach shoes or flip-flops to protect your feet.
- Bring a beach bag: Make sure to pack a beach bag with everything you will need for the day, including towels, snacks, and water.
- Follow the beach rules: Be sure to follow any posted beach rules and regulations, such as staying within designated areas and respecting the environment.
- Respect the marine life: If you are planning to go snorkeling or diving, be sure to respect the marine life and do not touch or disturb the animals.
Overall, the beaches in Puerto Rico are a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to the island. Whether you are looking for a secluded spot to relax or a place to surf, there is a beach in Puerto Rico that is perfect for you.
3. Explore El Yunque National Forest
El Yunque is a tropical rainforest located in the northeastern part of the island. It is home to many species of plants and animals, and there are several hiking trails and waterfalls to explore.
Take a tour of a rum distillery: Puerto Rico is known for its rum, and there are several rum distilleries on the island that offer tours. Some popular options include Ron del Barrilito and Casa Bacardi.
Visit the Arecibo Observatory: The Arecibo Observatory is home to the world’s largest single-dish radio telescope. It is located in the north of the island and offers guided tours and educational programs.
Go snorkeling or scuba diving: Puerto Rico has many beautiful coral reefs that are home to a variety of marine life. There are several companies that offer snorkeling and scuba diving tours.
Visit the Ponce Art Museum: The Ponce Art Museum is home to a collection of Puerto Rican and international art. It is located in the city of Ponce, which is about an hour’s drive from San Juan.
Go to the Parque de Bombas: The Parque de Bombas is a historic fire station located in Ponce. It is now a museum that displays equipment and artifacts from the early days of firefighting in Puerto Rico.
Take a trip to the island of Culebra: Culebra is a small island located off the east coast of Puerto Rico. It is known for its beautiful beaches and is a popular destination for snorkeling and diving.
Go horseback riding: Puerto Rico is home to many beautiful horseback riding trails, and there are several companies that offer guided tours. It is a great way to see the island’s beautiful countryside and learn more about its history and culture.
Overall, there are many exciting things to do in Puerto Rico. Whether you are interested in history, nature, or beach activities, there is something for everyone on this beautiful Caribbean island.